Who is a recycler?
Recovery operator means any natural or legal person engaged in waste recovery, including reuse, subject to that person having obtained all necessary licences or permits required under sections 39(1) or 39(4) of the Act or, as appropriate, under section 82(2) of the Environmental Protection Agency Acts 1992 to 2011;
In the new tyre regulations recyclers are referred to as Recover Operators.
What do the regulations mean for recyclers and recovery operators?
You must register with Repak ELT (approved body) and submit
- The quantities by weight or, as appropriate, by number of units of tyres that were recovered in the calendar year prior to the date of application in each of the categories specified in the First Schedule.
- The quantities by weight or, as appropriate, by number of units of tyres and waste tyres which are on the recovery operator’s premises on application for registration with the approved body in each of the categories specified in the First Schedule.
- You must provide a copy or, as appropriate, copies of all valid permits issued in accordance with the provisions of regulations under 39(1) or (4) of the Act.7. A copy or as appropriate, copies of all notices issued by a local authority in the calendar year prior to the date of application in accordance with the provisions of regulations under section 55 of the Act.
- Declaration stating that the information provided is true.
The regulations stipulate that a recovery operator must provide the following information for the purposes of reporting to Repak ELT (approved body)
- National identification code of the authorised recovery operator.
- Reporting period.
- Records of all tyres that cross the weighbridge of that recovery operator during the reporting period.
- Copies of recovery and recycling certificates issued to the collectors during the reporting period.
- A copy of the Annual Environmental Return submitted by the authorised recovery operator to the National Waste Collection Permitting Office.
- Records of any shipping documents (TFS) for movements of waste tyres outside the state.
If you also collect waste for your facility you must register and report as a collector